Sunday, September 16, 2012

Hurting or helping?

Wow, what an eye-opener on the way our world is changing and the dependence we have on social media! Our personal lives are often available for the world to see. We turn to Facebook to connect with old friends and new acquaintances instead of picking up the phone to call them. I think that is one of the biggest problems with social media. Too many depend on "writing on someone's wall" or tweeting at them and lack the socials skills that our world once had. Of course this does not mean everyone is like that but I see it a lot in today's youth.

 On the other hand, I love that our schools are adjusting their teaching approaches to include all of the new technology that is out there. However, I also think that kids today still need to know the basics of writing, not typing everything, and know how to carry on a face-to-face conversation. I found it fascinating that Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Google are not welcome in China. Maybe this is part of the reason that their academic scores are higher than ours?...They do not rely on social media to learn. Just a thought. I think our world needs a balance between all of this but I am not sure how that can be reached. 

2 comments:

  1. Two ideas jumped out at me in your post. I wondered what you meant by "kids today still need to know the basics of writing" The other was your comment about China. I think that comparing Chinese and American educational systems would be a fascinating topic, but one that would involve a lot of research and discussion. I hope that if any of your classmates read this post, they offer their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I just think that kids today rely so much on technology when they write. I read so many papers of kids that do not use capitals, punctuation, etc. Often they even write using the slang from texting- "2" for "to," "4" for "for," etc. Even their handwriting can be so messy. I have even heard their excuse for these things is because they just use their computer to type everything and never have to write on paper. I think that those are things that some (not all) of our youth are missing today.

    I agree, taking a closer look at the American and Chinese educational systems would be so interesting. I really enjoyed the video that said that the Chinese do not allow some social media sites. It made me think and thought it would be interesting to take a closer look at the advantages and disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete