Sunday, September 9, 2012

Blogs in the classroom...


          In my classroom I could use a blog to have my students practice using the Spanish-language outside of the classroom. Since blogging is brand new to me my initial thoughts are to post a question/statement and have my students type their thoughts and opinions in response. By doing this, they will be practicing their comprehension skills as well as their writing skills. Students can have the opportunity to converse with classmates, the instructor and native speakers. The only downfall that I can see with that is the fact that the students may use an online translator.
         Students can use the blog to express opinions and/or provide comments about classroom activities, etc. I like this idea since some students are shy about speaking up in the classroom and feel more comfortable in a different setting.
         I also like the idea in the text, Chapter 2, about web logging and using a class portal. I would use this to communicate information about the class through the school year as well as in the summer and during breaks. The class portal also would serve as a way to communicate with parents/guardians. They can access classroom rules, curriculum, handouts, a class calendar, assignments due dates, etc. As a middle/high school teacher, I often have parents calling or emailing me to find out when things are due so they can stay on top of their child. By using a weblog, this would hopefully eliminate a lot of questions.
         By blogging, students can engage in conversations, express opinions, and use the language beyond the classroom setting as stated in the National Standards for Foreign Language Education.

        
National Learning Standards for Teaching Foreign Language met:
 Standard 1.1: Students engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions
Standard 5.1: Students use the language both within and beyond the school setting

7 comments:

  1. The class portal sounds like a very good idea, but I think I would make the blog moderated so that you would have control over comments that would be posted instead of open to the public so that anyone could make comments that would immediately show up as we are doing with this blog.

    The problem of online translators is a serious one in L2 classes. I haven't read any good posts on the topic, but if I find any I will post them on UBlearns in the Check It Out forum. I hope you will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also new to blogging to I'm still playing with ideas of what to do as well. I like your idea of a class portal, depending on rules and regulations of the district, of course. I feel like that might be one of our biggest stumbling blocks as new educators. Getting people who are not comfortable with too much tech in the classroom to buy into a class blog or something might be an issue. Hopefully though, the "times are changing" to the point where this might not be the case much longer! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think the class portal is a good idea, it gives parents an opportunity to get themselves involved in their children's assignment. And like you said it is a great way to answer parents questions on assignments. I've never heard of the issue about online translators in language classes before but I can see now how it could pose as a problem. It sounds like an issue that would be difficult to try and fix unless someone was there to supervise students using blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that some students are too shy to speak in the classroom, especially for some of Asian students. Undoubtedly, Weblog is a better way for students to share their ideas and express opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you said, online-translator can be a problem. However, since online translators only provide rough translation, the students will have to do THEIR job in writing, I guess. I don't know much about the online translator since I have never used it, but I don't expect they are natural and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of using a blog as a class portal especially for parents to look on. Its a great way to keep the parents involved in their childs life without forcing them to go into the school. They could also post their opinions and any questions they have about the course work or school policies. Its also a great way to make the students accountable for their own work(as talked about in the book) as they always have the information handy in case they forget whats do or what exactly an assignment is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same as you, I really like the idea in Chapter 2 about using Weblog as a class portal. It is an effective communicating method among students and the teacher; it also allows parents to observe the class content and progress.

    ReplyDelete